OSF HealthCare

Crisis Nursery’s relationship with OSF HealthCare Heart of Mary Medical Center started years ago when the Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary, the original founding sponsors of the hospital, felt that their mission and that of Crisis Nursery was similar.  The Sisters took on a benefactor relationship to Crisis Nursery in 1992 when Burnham City Hospital (the original donated site for the Nursery) closed. At that time, the Nursery moved to a small house on Park Street and was charged $1.00 per year for rent and was provided with assistance to attain grant funding for the Nursery to remodel the house for our use.  They also donated hospital staff time to provide some of the work that needed to be done.

Over time, Crisis Nursery outgrew the house on Park Street and started a capitol campaign in 1999 to raise money for a new facility. The Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary donated $20,000 to the capital campaign to help build a larger home to serve more children. Three lots of property were provided for the new Nursery at the rate of $1.00 per year for 30 years beginning October 1999.  Crisis Nursery moved into the new building, its current location at 1309 W. Hill Street in Urbana, in February 2000.

For the past 18 years, the hospital has generously supported Crisis Nursery with in-kind donations. The contribution for fiscal year 2017 was valued at approximately $37,865. Since 1999, this amount totals over $821,504. This in-kind support consists of:

  • utilities expenses (with the exception of power)
  • general maintenance
  • snow removal
  • lawn care
  • security
  • meal preparation and delivery
  • laundry and linen services
  • emergency medical care

OSF HealthCare also sponsors some of Crisis Nursery’s special events, namely our annual Dinner & Auction.  Special events constitute approximately 20% of our income.

Crisis Nursery proudly recognizes OSF HealthCare on marketing and promotional materials, though the Nursery is a totally independent organization. This relationship is successfully understood by the community at large.

Print